Germany’s Tourism Industry to Grow Faster in 2018

According to the WTTC’s latest report released earlier this year (2018), Germany boasts the largest travel and tourism industry in the entire European continent. In 2017, tourism accounted for 10.7% of Germany’s GDP. Globally, the country rightly claims the third spot, only behind USA and China, which have the biggest tourism sectors in the world.

Last year (2017), the tourism industry in Germany recorded a growth of 1.7%. According to the WTTC predictions, this figure is most likely to accelerate up to 2.9% in 2018. If it happens as predicted, Germany will leapfrog other nations in the continent in terms of the European Union’s overall growth in 2018, and this is predicted to be 2.5%. Although the year is only halfway through, the signs of this projected growth are already clear. In her own words, Sigrid de Mazieres (Director of the German National Tourist Office or GNTO for the Gulf countries) claimed that the country has been experiencing an escalating demand from the Gulf region since the year began. She confirmed that Germany had more overnight stays from Gulf citizens than they had last year during the same period.

While business travel generates 22% of the country’s GDP, the remaining 78% comes from leisure and private travel. The WTTC report predicted a 2.3 % growth in leisure spending in 2018. The same report claimed that the expenditure on business travels may rise by 3.7%. Domestic travel generates 87% of the tourism sector’s turnover, and this is predicted to grow by 2.5% in 2018. Foreign visitors contribute the remaining 13%.

The figures provided by the WTTC report represent spending within the country; the spending of Germans when traveling out of the country is not included. According to the report, the expenditure is expected to increase this year to €79.9 billion from last year’s €78.1 billion.